Dancing with Memories is a book for 5-8 year olds which has been written by Sally Yule, in conjunction with Professor Ralph Martins and Maggie Beer, to introduce young people to family and people living with dementia.
In 2021 we took on distributing this 220 copies of this book to primary schools as a club project.
The first launch of “Dancing with Memories” took place on 2nd June 2021 at Moerlina Primary. Held in lieu of our weekly meeting, this event was attended by the 60 students in the school, parents, grandparents, members of the Rotary Club of Freshwater Bay and members of the Claremont Nedlands Lions Club.
The “Dancing With Memories” book has now been donated to 157 schools across Western Australia plus the Italo-Australian Welfare and Cultural Centre.
Project coordinator Stephanie Rainey-Smith enlisted the assistance of the WA Schools Library Association to ensure that 51 schools received a copy, including some regional schools.
- The Cultural Centre received 50 copies via Ralph Martins and Enzo Sirna.
- St Brigid’s Primary School in Middle Swan received 10 copies via Ralph Martins.
- Stephanie Rainey-Smith donated 15 additional copies to Our Lady of Grace Primary School in North Beach via a separate personal donation.
- Di Collins ensured that Canning Vale Primary School and Moerlina School received a copy of the book.
- Stephanie visited the 102 remaining schools in person to distribute the books.
Stephanie was invited to read the book to students at Our Lady of Grace School during Book Week.